In light of President Ramaphosa’s announcement of a national lockdown yesterday due to the COVID-19 outbreak we understand that members are looking for guidance on several issues including how to deal with labour during the 21 days and going forward. We are aware that all members are in different positions financially. We are not in a position to give a definite directive- just guidance. Although the industry is understandably in a panic state, the MBA-N cannot yet issue directives until we have a solid understanding of what measures government is introducing.
As we speak, directives are being issued by government. We should all rely on this information only.
We are certain that in a day or two the Dept of Labour will issue these directives formally.
Our understanding of the President’s speech last night is that employers get a 20% rebate on PAYE contributions. As stated by the president, he calls on larger businesses in particular to take care of their workers during this period to avoid the country deteriorating into anarchy. We will be keeping you informed on all the latest developments as they happen. Beware of fake news making rounds that construction will be operational. We have put together all the documents that will help you make decisions here. https://www.mbanorth.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Critical-Business-Continity-Services-in-Covid19-Response.pdf.pdf
The Unemployment Insurance Fund will compensate affected workers through its existing Illness and Reduced Work Time benefits. Please take note of the following page on their website to assist you and your workers to claim. http://www.labour.gov.za/easy-guide-for-employers-on-covid19
We, in South Africa, have had the benefit of learning from what other countries (such as Italy, UK and USA) have done to flatten the curve and support the government in this decision- detrimental as it is to the economy. But we believe that if we work together to maintain calm, try to assist workers to claim benefits where possible and adhere to the shutdown we will see the end soon and begin to rebuild our economy.
What are we doing?
- Regular educational emails and updates have been sent to our members on information as it is made available and we will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. If you would like these mails to be made available to additional staff, please advise us of their email addresses and we will gladly add them onto our mailing list.
- As of 26 March, our MBA North staff have been set up to work remotely until the shutdown is lifted. In order that we remain available to you all, however, we are including our mobile numbers so that you have the ability to contact us, should the need arise:
Please take note of our WhatsApp Broadcast number and save it onto your phone as we will be sending notices constantly.
|Mohau Mphomela||Executive Director||083 477 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lizelle Pretorius||Finance Officeremail@example.com|
|Boitumelo Thipe||Marketing Manager||079 498 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gerhard Roets||Construction Health & Safety Manager||082 825 email@example.com|
|Sheilla Mofokeng||Member Officer/ Member Liaisonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ashleigh Feeny||CHS Administrator/ Receptionemail@example.com|
|Phumzile Ncgobo||Education & Training Officerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Zenzele Mabuza||Construction Health & Safety Officer||063 689 email@example.com|
|Manie Van As||Construction Health & Safety Officer||0710348465||Manie@mbanorth.co.za|
|Duncan Ebersohn||Construction Health & Safety Officerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
- We have cancelled all social events and training until further notice.
- We are engaging daily with the BIBC and the Trade Unions to look at how to best address the needs of our members and will be communicating any progress in this regard as we reach outcomes.
- The Department: Small Business Development has announced a Debt Relief Fund which SMME’s can register for in order to receive financial assistance with existing debts and repayments as a direct result of COVID-19. We urge members who qualify to register for this fund which will open as of tomorrow, 24 March 2020.
- Standard Bank have announced a 3-month payment holiday for their clients who are in good standing and have a turnover of less than R20m, as well as for students with student-loans. Nedbank have similarly announced that they will review individual situations with their clients who are experiencing cash flow issues:
We continue to strongly urge all of our members to scrupulously observe the shutdown
If you believe that this information will assist anyone that you know, we welcome you forwarding this email to them.
UPDATE – NOW AT 554 POSITIVE CASES
Please take note of our WhatsApp Broadcast number: 071 189 6826 and save it onto your phone as we will be sending notices constantly.
* See publication by the Ministry of Health which includes the latest number of confirmed cases by Province as well as by age breakdown
Our best wishes are with you, your families, friends and employees at this time.